Monday, September 30, 2013

PAOLA TURBAY

PAOLA TURBAY
From Texas With Love, A Colombian Queen

With a dazzling smile and the friendliness that characterizes her, Paola Turbay, one of the most loved divas, former Colombian national beauty queen and former runner up in the Miss Universe beauty pageant, did a photo shoot exclusively for LATINO SHOW MAGAZINE.

Paola, one of the most remembered queens by Colombians, was born in Houston, Texas and is of Colombian-Lebanese descent. She studied psychology, but is currently a famous actress, model and presenter. A spontaneous woman, intelligent, and convinced that happiness and success lie in her home and within her; passionate for her work, philanthropist, a muse that irradiates sincerity and who demonstrates that the physical perfection of her body is not more important than the beauty of her soul.

Her first acting performance was in a commercial at 13 years old. After finalizing her acting studies in Hollywood (Florida), she successfully debuted in the American series Cane. Following that, she participated in other productions for the small screen: True Blood, The Secret Life of The American Teenager, Royal Pains, “The Mentalist” Bloodsport, The Closer, The Cleaner, Love in The Time of Cholera, and in an episode of CSI Miami –where she played the role of an assassin. She later played an important character in one of her favorite roles for the movie Mamá Tómate La Sopa.

To learn more about this lovely woman, we asked her in an exclusive for LATINO SHOW MAGAZINE:

Paola, what did the Miss Colombia pageant mean to your life?
The pageant was an event that launched me into the public life; it transformed me into a recognized person and linked me in a special way with Colombians. After my participation in this beauty competition, many doors opened up and I continued preparing myself. Well… it’s already been 22 years.

What did you dream about when you were a young girl?
I went through a great number of careers, but I always dreamed of being in Broadway musicals, well, I was an Olympic gymnast, a dancer; I played the piano, and was part of a choir. I was always very involved in the arts. I also wanted to be an archaeologist, a lawyer, and even “President of the Republic”, she told us, followed by a big laugh. I ended up studying psychology and acting.

Who has been the inspiration of your life?
My parents. They are a great example for me and have been the most influential people in my life, they were demanding but loving, that was really what shaped me as a person. My father is a brilliant being, a mathematician and researcher, and my mother on the other hand is an educator who has dedicated her entire life to kids with learning disabilities; they are both good at what they do, and at the same time, very attentive to their kids, aware of the importance of raising us as good human beings. This is why I now feel so much responsibility with my kids –Sofia, 17 years old and Emilio, 13 years old.

What have you yet to do in life? What are your dreams?
There’s too much to do. I wouldn’t have enough time to accomplish it all, because I’m the type that thinks that a person begins to die the day he stops dreaming. My closest goal is to finish educating my kids, but when they graduate I would like to take a one year sabbatical with my husband Alejandro, travel around the world, visit places, learn about other cultures, and go backpacking to learn the folklore of each country. Later on I would like to do a theater musical in New York. I also have a great deal of social projects in subjects having to do with agriculture, recycling, and public awareness.

Why did you return to Colombia after so many years of living in the United States?
For the need of my children to have Colombian roots. They had never lived in this beautiful country and for me, it was very important that they had a place they could call home, that if they went around the world, they could feel that this is their home. The time that we’ve been in Colombia we have dedicated it to becoming more Colombian aware.

What happened with the acting career you had in North America?
I can’t detach myself from the United States, I lived there for 12 years out of which, 10 of those years I spent building my career. The last five years I spent there, I worked steadily without stopping. At the beginning it was a sacrifice to come to Colombia because I was well, work wise; I had three shows that were on the air. At the same time, I recorded in New York and in Los Angeles, but there was a time when I felt that if I didn’t move to Colombia with my family, I wouldn’t be satisfied, and as a mother, I was going to feel that I missed something. But I continue with my character in Royal Pains, taping in New York and I continue following up on projects with my agent.

Which has been the most significant role for you?
I would say that they are two, the most important: Cane which was my debut into the United States, and addition it gave me the opportunity to star in one the most important and highly publicized shows of the 2007 season; this was big for me and a giant challenge as well. The second was the one that changed my way of planning, thinking and dreaming about my career; I’m talking about the movie Mamá, Tómate La Sopa, which I did with Mario Rivero. After my role in this movie, I decided I only wanted to do films.

What project are you currently working on?
Currently, I am a juror in the competition Colombia Has Talent. I’m working in a play that opens at the beginning of next year and I’m also in talks with some directors to do two movies; I’m still connected with Los Angeles and New York and I continue taping Royal Pains.

What has been your experience with Colombia Has Talent?
It is something that entertains me a lot, it looks like a great opportunity for people, who because of their lack of resources or where they live, they don’t have access to a talent scout. Being part of this platform is a privilege, because one becomes a sort of “fairy godmother” for a lot of people. I have great affection for the people.

How do you define beauty?
As all of that which is pleasant to the eyes and to the senses.

What do you do to stay so beautiful?
I think I inherited the physical from my parents, the good blood of my Lebanese ancestors that endures just about anything (laughs). One has the responsibility of caring for what life has given you with good habits. I have always exercised and lived a very healthy life, good eating habits. For example, in my house we do without animal protein in our diet, but most important, is, that at a personal level I don’t hold grudges or resentments with anyone and I try to understand people. That, in the end, allows one to live in peace and tranquil, that there aren’t problems that become great conflicts. I believe that keeping a lot of good habits and good mental and emotional health is the harmony that is reflected in me.


PAOLA TURBAY
De Texas con amor, una reina Colombiana


Con una sonrisa deslumbrante y con la simpatía que la caracteriza, Paola Turbay, una de las divas más queridas, ex reina nacional de la belleza colombiana y ex virreina universal en el certamen Miss Universo, realizó una producción fotográfica exclusivamente para LATINO SHOW MAGAZINE.

Paola, una de las reinas más recordada por los colombianos, nació en Houston, Texas y es de descendencia colombiana-libanesa. Estudió psicología, pero actualmente es una célebre actriz, modelo y presentadora. Una mujer espontánea, inteligente y convencida de que la felicidad y el éxito están en su hogar y en su interior; apasionada por su trabajo, filántropa, una musa que irradia sinceridad y que demuestra que la perfección física de su cuerpo no es más importante que la belleza de su alma.

Su primera actuación fue en un comercial a los 13 años. Después de finalizar sus estudios de actuación en Hollywood (Florida), debutó con gran éxito en la serie norteamericana Cane. Después participó en otras producciones para la pantalla chica: True Blood, The Secret Life Of The American Teenager, Royal Pains, “The Mentalist” Bloodsport, The Closer, The Cleaner, Amor en los Tiempos del Cólera, y en un capitulo de CSI Miami -en donde hizo el papel de asesina. Más tarde iinterpretó un personaje importante en uno de sus papeles preferidos para la película Mamá Tómate La Sopa.

Para conocer un poco más sobre esta encantadora mujer, le preguntamos en exclusiva para LATINO SHOW MAGAZINE:

Paola ¿Qué significó el reinado Miss Colombia en tu vida?
El reinado fue el acontecimiento que me lanzó a la vida pública, me convirtió en una persona reconocida y me vinculó de forma muy especial con los colombianos. Después de mi participación en este certamen de belleza se me abrieron muchas puertas y seguí preparándome. Bueno… ya han pasado 22 años.

¿Qué soñabas ser cuando eras una jovencita?
Pasé por una cantidad de carreras, pero siempre me soñaba haciendo musicales en Broadway, pues era gimnasta olímpica, bailarina, tocaba piano y formé parte de un coro. Siempre estuve muy involucrada en el tema de las artes. También quise ser arqueóloga, abogada y hasta “Presidenta de la República”, nos dijo tras una fuerte carcajada. Terminé estudiando psicología y actuación.

¿Quién ha sido la inspiración de tu vida?
Mis papás. Ellos son un gran ejemplo para mí y han sido las personas más influyentes en mi vida, fueron exigentes pero cariñosos, eso fue lo que realmente me formó como persona. Mi padre es un ser brillante, un matemático e investigador y mi mami por su parte, es una educadora que le ha dedicado su vida entera a niños con problemas de aprendizaje; ambos son muy buenos en lo que hacen y al mismo tiempo, muy pendientes de sus hijos, conscientes de la importancia de formarnos como buenos seres humanos. Por eso ahora siento tanta responsabilidad con mis hijos –Sofía de 17 años y Emilio de 13.

¿Qué te falta hacer en la vida? ¿Cuáles son tus sueños?
Me falta demasiado. No me alcanzaría el tiempo para lograrlo todo, pues soy de las que piensa que una persona empieza a morir el día en que deja de soñar. Mi meta más cercana es terminar de educar a mis hijos, pero cuando ellos se gradúen, quisiera darme un año sabático con Alejandro, mi esposo, viajar alrededor del mundo, conocer lugares y culturas, irnos “de mochila” para conocer el folklor de cada país. Más adelante quisiera hacer un musical de teatro en Nueva York. También tengo una gran cantidad de proyectos sociales en temas que tienen que ver con la agricultura, el reciclaje y la conciencia ciudadana.

¿Por qué regresaste a Colombia después de vivir tantos años en Estados Unidos?
Por la necesidad de que mis hijos tuvieran raíces en Colombia. Ellos nunca habían vivido en este bello país y para mí, era importantísimo que tuvieran un lugar que llamaran hogar, que así le dieran la vuelta al mundo, sintieran que esa es su casa. El tiempo que hemos estado establecidos en Colombia, lo estamos dedicando a colombianizarnos.

¿Qué pasó con la carrera actoral que llevabas en Norte América?
No me puedo desligar de Estados Unidos, allí viví 12 años de los cuales pasé 10 construyendo mi carrera. Los últimos cinco años que pase allá, los trabajé establemente y sin parar. Al principio fue un sacrificio venirme para Colombia, pues allí estaba muy bien laboralmente; tenía tres shows que estaban al aire. Al mismo tiempo, grababa en Nueva York y en Los Ángeles, pero llegó un momento en que sentía que si no me mudaba con mi familia a Colombia, no iba a estar satisfecha, y que como madre, iba a sentir que algo me faltó. Pero continúo con mi personaje en Royal Pains, grabando en Nueva York y sigo pendiente de proyectos con mi representante.

¿Cuál ha sido el papel más significativo para ti?
Yo diría que son dos los más importantes: Cane que fue mi lanzamiento en los Estados Unidos, además me dio la oportunidad de ser la protagonista del show más importante y más publicitado de la temporada en el 2007, eso fue enorme para mí y además, un reto gigantesco. El segundo fue el que me cambió la forma de planear, pensar y soñar mi carrera, hablo de la película Mamá, Tómate La Sopa la cual hice con Mario Rivero. Tras mi participación en esta película, decidí que solo quiero hacer cine.

¿En qué proyecto te encuentras actualmente?
Ahora estoy como jurado en el concurso Colombia Tiene Talento. Trabajo en una obra de teatro que se estrena a comienzos del año entrante y además estoy en conversaciones con unos directores para hacer dos películas, sigo conectada con Los Ángeles y Nueva York y continúo grabando Royal Pains.

¿Cómo ha sido tu experiencia con Colombia Tiene Talento?
Es algo que me divierte enormemente, me parece que es una gran oportunidad para la gente que por sus recursos o el lugar en donde viven, no tienen acceso a los “caza talentos.” Formar parte de esta plataforma es un privilegio, pues uno se convierte como en “hada madrina” de muchas personas. Le tengo mucho cariño a la gente!

¿Cómo defines la belleza?
Como todo aquello que es agradable a los ojos y a los sentidos.

¿Cómo haces para conservarte tan bella?
Creo que heredé lo físico de mis papás, la buena sangre de mi ancestros libaneses que aguanta lo que sea (risas). Uno tiene la responsabilidad de cuidar con buenos hábitos lo que la vida le dio. Siempre he hecho ejercicios y he llevado una vida muy sana; una buena alimentación. Por ejemplo, en mi casa eliminamos la proteína animal de nuestra dieta, pero lo más importante es que a nivel personal no me lleno de rencores, ni resentimientos con nadie y trato de comprender a la gente. Eso a la final, hace que uno viva en paz y tranquilo, que no hayan problemas que se conviertan en grandes conflictos. Creo que mantener altos niveles de buenos hábitos y de buena salud mental y emocional, es la armonía que se refleja en mí.
By: SOLEY RIVEROS
CEO / ALVARO ALTAMIRANO
Publisher and Translation Director / CESAR FLOREZ
Executive Managing Director / MIREYA POSADA

VÍDEO
PAOLA TURBAY EN LATINO SHOW MAGAZINE 
LATINO SHOW MAGAZINE


No comments:

Post a Comment

LET US HEAR YOUR OPINION